Wednesday, July 11, 2007

1st State Train Club

I have been lucky enough to find two different model railroad clubs within a reasonable driving distance of Easton. The first club is the Delmarva Train People, a bunch of guys who are really good at giving each other a hard time and seem to be the type that put having a good time high on the priority list. The first meeting I attended had me laughing out loud several times, good stuff to follow I am sure. And then a week later I attended the 1st State Model Railroad club at a members house, Ed Kline. Ed has a truly amazing layout which covers a good portion of his basement. And it seemed any space not occupied with train layout was filled with all sorts of RR paraphernalia from lights to prints and anything else imaginable. The knowledge these gents have makes my head hurt, they start talking about present day train operations and it all sounds like German to me, but it's all good.

The photos to follow are from Ed's layout:


This first photo is of the six stall roundhouse "at night" so you can see the welding going on in the last stall.(sorry for the photo quality, but I had to show the detail of the welding)

This is the Madkin pickle company...Ed's wife is Madeline and Ed said he built this cart while they were dating. (cool story)

This is the pickle factory.
A coupler on one of the members trailer hitches in the driveway.(never seen one of those before)

I believe the layout is the Pennsy Rail Road.

A couple more night shots.


Nice yard huh?
Look at the weathering on the semi...the trailer having exhaust on the top of it.
If you look close you will notice all of the track is hand laid...meaning, each tie and rail have been laid seperately versus using track segments like so many of us use.


Here's some of the train stuff I mentioned earlier.
The coal mine with empty cars waiting to be filled.

So much detail everywhere, I love the willy's wagon up on blocks.


With these few photos you can see the "U" shaped layout.





The under the table work cart.

A good shot of the 6 stall roundhouse and yard with a turntable out front.( I love it)
A steam loco coming out of the tunnel.

I hope you enjoyed the photos, a special thanks to Ed for a wonderful evening, and I'll be looking forward to next months meeting.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger EllyJane said...

I am so glad that you have found a friendly group of RRer's. Now I get to wait for the day that our basement will look like this one. :-)

19/7/07 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous... seriously, I want to be that good at detail work, not to mention have that much disposable income ;)

Yay! I am so glad you updated. We need to keep on each other's cases.

19/7/07 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home